How to Enjoy a Holiday…in Bed. 😏
Sorry to burst any of your bubbles, but this isn’t one of those posts. I don’t mean enjoying a holiday in bed with a significant other. I’m talking heating pad, ice packs, thermometer, gatorade, tissues, medicine, and tea.
Pretty much every holiday or family gathering since last fall I have either missed or attended and laid down on the couch the whole time. This Fourth of July won’t be any different. It also just so happens to be my boyfriend’s birthday on the 4th. Double whammy.
Here are some tips that I’ve found over the last few months make it easier and even fun when you have to miss out on all the events going on celebrating holidays, parties and anything else surrounding a social life for that matter. Let’s focus on the July 4th because that’s what’s coming up this weekend.
- Don’t wallow. I figured I’d make this number one because it’s the toughest. OK…you can’t go out. It took me a while to accept that I have to miss most events and it still bothers me, but I try my hardest to not let it bother me. You have to work on YOU. You need to get healthy, or rest, or whatever it is that’s preventing you from going out. Just because you’re missing a good time doesn’t mean you’re going to miss all the good times. Think of all the good times to come. Brainstorm ideas of things you want to do in the future. The first few things on my list are visiting each of my friends at their houses to spend time with them, flying to Chicago to visit my brother, and taking a road trip with my boyfriend.
- Have lots of ready-to-go food. If you can have someone run to the supermarket for you that’s even better. If your supermarket offers delivery, it might be worth it. Don’t over exert yourself if you don’t have to. It’s July 4th…indoor BBQs work! Frozen burgers and frozen fries are super easy. You can buy pre-made cole slaw and mac salad. My personal favorite is chips and guac/salsa (especially Alton Brown’s Amazing Guacamole)
- Treat yourself to something you normally wouldn’t do…it is a holiday or special occasion after all. People are going to be doing fun and exciting things so why can’t you? Just because you aren’t out at the beach or a BBQ doesn’t mean you can’t have fun…it will just be different, but different doesn’t have to be bad. I’m going to paint my nails. Is anyone going to see them? Nope. But I am. And they’re going to be bright orangey red and awesome.
- Read a book. This can sometimes be tough for me if I have a headache but lets face it…most people are going to be busy so you’ll have even more alone time than usual. What better than to bury yourself in a good book? Check out my *goodreads* to see what I’m reading now, what I’ve read and what’s on my list to read next. Also, I’d love to see what you’re reading and what you suggest. Leave some comments below!
- If books aren’t your thing, netflix and chill. Or rent a movie. There are so many new movies out and also awesome series on netflix…I’m currently watching 3 series at once (eek). And two of them I’ve already seen. I need OITNB in my life ASAP. Maybe this weekend?
- I have to go back to number 1, because that’s pretty tough. If you have to wallow, give yourself a set amount of time. I have to be honest, I might have a “moment” this weekend. I’ve gotten better with my moments though. If you feel sad, alone, or left out, cry it out for a few minutes. Write down how you’re feeling. If you have someone with you who you trust to vent to, ask if you can let it out for a few minutes…but don’t get stuck. It’s okay to be sad and have a few tears, but don’t let yourself drown in them. Wipe them off, think happy thoughts, and get back to enjoying your holiday weekend.
Hope everyone has a happy, safe, healthy and FUN 4th of July weekend!