Prednisone Made Me Do It
I’ve been on and off prednisone for about two months now. I only have two days left (hopefully, depending on how my doctors appointment goes tomorrow) but the side effects have been CRAY. If you’re ready for a huge rant (with some hopefully helpful info squeezed in)…then reader beware 😏.
What Is Prednisone?
Prednisone is a corticosteroid that suppresses inflammation. As a lupus flare usually means inflammation of a certain part of the body, this treatment can be very effective. Some patients are on steroids long term while others just are put on a dose or taper pack for a short period of time. It’s important to taper or ween yourself off this medication if you’re taking it for more than a few days. Corticosteroids such a prednisone basically takes over the function of the steroid hormone production that usually happens in your adrenal glands. Stopping this abruptly could cause some pretty nasty side effects so you have to slowly lower the dosage so that your adrenal glands can start producing the hormone on it’s own again. If you feel side effects while tapering down or stopping, just let your doctor know. That has happened to me before and they’ve just given me a lower dose to slow down the taper, which helped tremendously.
Side Effects Can Include Extreme Sexiness…(I Wish)
⚔ Prednisone is such a double edged sword. It finally has helped me so that my pleurisy is under control (it doesn’t really bother me unless I’m laying down for a while or at night). The roids, however, have a mind of their own 🙃.
- I’ve been hungry all the time.🍕 I’m talking finish a huge steak and potato dinner feeling like I haven’t even eaten yet.
- 🌡I feel like I’m going through menopause! Hot flashes are crazy and if you come to my apartment, bring a sweatshirt. I’ve been cranking the AC and I’m usually a girl who’s freezing all the time!
- 🖕My moods…well, I’ve been an angel 😇. Kidding. My poor family, friends and BF. I’ve been trying my hardest to at least apologize after snapping, but I honestly feel like I can’t help it. Also, the tiniest thing makes me cry (even if it’s happy tears).
- What is sleep? 💤 My body has been so thrown off lately. I’ll either be up all night and manage to get a few hours of sleep, or have a night where I crash (like last night) and sleep for 11+ hours.
- Last but not least…insane bouts of energy followed by some anxiety because hey, who likes feeling like their insides are crawling, and then a crash where I’m physically and mentally exhausted.
Is It Worth It?
The bottom line is that I know that prednisone is necessary sometimes to get inflammation and flares under control, but while it helps one symptom, it causes a whole slew of others. So what’s the answer? Usually I am anti-steroids. Even my doctors know this. Being in the amount of pain that I was in recently though and KNOWING that there was something that could possibly help made me actually ask for it.
Click here to read more about steroids and how they’re used to treat lupus from the Johns Hopkins Lupus Center.